On the 38th Martial Law anniversary: Bayan demands Aquino to solve Bayles case and other EJK’s
News Release | September 21, 2010 | In time of the commemoration of the 38th anniversary of Martial law declaration in the country, Bayan Negros challenges Aquino administration to solve cases of extra judicial killings in the country especially the case of Aglipayan lay leader Benjie Bayles and the release of political prisoners nationwide.
“We challenge Pres. Aquino who fascinated the people of bringing changes during the 2010 election but the complacent situation proves otherwise. Until now families of human rights victims especially the case of Negrense Aglipayan lay leader Benjie Bayles’ continues the quest for the justice. Aquino must make a move or “change“ as he quotes it,” said Ronald Ian Evidente Bayan Nergros Spokesperson.
The case of Benjie Bayles was the first and only extra judicial killing case in the country that suspected perpetrators was arrested hours after the crime happened last June 14. Arrested during the Kabankalan police check point were Ronnie Caurino and Roger Bahon aka PFC Reyine Laos suspected to be members of Armed Forces of the Philippines in possession of (2) .45 caliber pistol. Last September 15, Branch 45 Regional Trial Court Judge Nilo Sarsaba of Himamaylan City denied the Motion to Quash filed by lawyers of the of the accused on the ground of illegality of the arrest, upheld the existence of the probable cause and ordered the trial to proceed.
“Aquino must make a decisive move by ordering Justice Sec. Leila de Lima to keep an eye and to solve Bayles case and other extra judicial killings case in the country to prove that his administration is extending effort to end impunity in extra judicial cases in the country” Evidente explained.
Human rights organization like KARAPATAN recorded 1,206 unsolved cases of extra judicial killings (EJK) nationwide including 40 cases in Negros from past administration. Thirteen (13) EJK victims were already documented by KARAPATAN under the new administration; from January-June 2010, there have been 17 victims. 15 political detainees and 8 cases of enforced disappearances (ED) have been reported in Negros alone. ###
For Reference: Ronald Ian Evidente| Spokesperson, BAYAN Negros Mobile phone number: 0939-165-9454
- Bayan to 303rd IB: dismantle your death squad now and stop lying!
- TESTIGO September-October 2010 Issue
- Victims of Enforced Disappearances yearns for JUSTICE!
- Bagong Alyansang Makabayan sends off Gloria Macapagal Arroyo and challenges the new administration of President Benigno Simeon Aquino III
- KMU Negros to PNoy and AFP: Stop the killings now!
- The cry of Nehemiah is also the cry of Church people in the horrible killing of Benjamin “Benjie” Bayles cold heartedly done by confirmed organic members of 61st Infantry Batallion of Phil. Army.
- A Dark Stark On the 100 Days of Benigno Aquino III as President
- AN OPEN LETTER TO PRESIDENT AQUINO, Justice for Benjamin Bayles – Justice for all Victims of Human Rights Violations
- Details of the Benjamin Estroca case
- Human Rights Defender Murdered By Army Soldiers