Details of the Benjamin Estroca case
Violation (s): Extrajudicial Killing; Name of Victim (s): Benjamin Bayles y Estroca, 44 years old, a resident of Sitio Pamandayan, Barangay Buenavista, Himamaylan City. Organizer, National Federation of Sugar Workers (NFSW); Treasurer, Barangay Chapter Bayan Muna Suay; Member, September 21 Movement – Southern Negros, a local chapter of KARAPATAN-Negros; Leader, Aglipayan Forum Southern Negros; Place of Incident: Crossing Antolo, Barangay Buenavista, Himamaylan City; Date of Incident: June 14, 2010 more or less 4:30 p.m; Alleged Perpetrators: elements of the 61st Infantry Battalion Philippine Army based in Barangay Tiling, Cauayan, Negros Occidental.
The victim Benjamin Bayles, known to people by nickname as Benjie, was standing along the national highway waiting for public transport near the waiting shed of Sitio Antolo, Barangay Buenavista at around 4:30 in the afternoon. He was with a friend. The perpetrators were already at the place of incident when victim and his friend arrived. They are fixing on the black Honda motorcycle. More or less 20 minutes after arriving at the place of incident, the perpetrators riding in their motorcycle stopped in front of them, and after a few minute one of the perpetrator draw his .45 caliber pistol and fired at Benjie. The driver of the motorcycle disembarks and also fired shots at Benjie. His friend and other witnesses run for safety. The perpetrators rode away using the Buenavista road. The alleged perpetrators were caught in a hot pursuit operation near Kabankalan City and initial information revealed that the perpetrators are active member of the 61st IB.
The victim is an active human rights defender in southern Negros. He facilitates documentation of human rights violations in Himamaylan City and joins fact- finding mission and protest actions. He also facilitates peasant issues and concerns in Himamaylan City. He facilitated the quick response action of September 21 Movement and KARAPATAN on the alleged arrest upland farmers of Sitio Madaha, Barangay Buenavista, last October 2009.
His elder brother inform KARAPATAN that Army soldiers belonging to the 11th IBPA encamped at the Barangay Center of Barangay Buenavista keep on looking and asking for the whereabouts and works of the victim since last week of April 2010. He has been receiving numerous threats and harassments since 2004.
- Human Rights Defender Murdered By Army Soldiers
- TESTIGO September-October 2010 Issue
- The cry of Nehemiah is also the cry of Church people in the horrible killing of Benjamin “Benjie” Bayles cold heartedly done by confirmed organic members of 61st Infantry Batallion of Phil. Army.
- Residents Air Complaints Against Army Soldiers Operating In Barangay Camindangan, Sipalay City
- Chairperson of a local chapter of a national farmers’ organization shot to death by elements of the 11th IBPA in Guihulngan, Negros Oriental, Philippines
- TESTIGO November-December 2010 issue
- AN OPEN LETTER TO PRESIDENT AQUINO, Justice for Benjamin Bayles – Justice for all Victims of Human Rights Violations
- On the 38th Martial Law anniversary: Bayan demands Aquino to solve Bayles case and other EJK’s
- Four members of a local KMP chapter massacred by elements of the 9th IBPA in Mobo, Masbate
- Lt. Col. Ramil Bitong and troops, BIG LIARS!